Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Praying with Hamilton: "Non-Stop"

Prayer by Rev. Debra McKnight

Loving God, Energy Source and Seed of Direction,

There’s a million things I haven’t done.
        Good work that rests ahead and
        lists and lists of boxes un-checked.

Help me choose,
        What’s at the top, what’s next?
        What do I do with my time?

Help me be Non-stop,
Driven in the best possible way,
        non-stop for God’s dream that all may have life and have it abundantly,
                non-stop with bold moves, unwilling to play small and keep folks
                comfortable.

Non-Stop in the best possible way,
        like those on the offensive with the abolitionist, engineering a powerful,
        invisible train
                or marching, stride for stride with the suffragist, saying no to the
                status quo.
        Non-stop for compassion,
                disregarding boundaries and barriers to justice and love, inclusion
                and truth.

Non-stop for family and friends and friends we make family,
        driven with grace for the small ones and love the wise ones in our life,
                awake to each moment as a gift to build bonds and ties that bind.

Non-stop for a dream that is bigger then me,
        non-stop for others rather than my ego
                non-stop with passion not driven to exhaustion.

There’s a million things I haven’t done. Help me choose what matters most next?
        Help me dive deep into my gifts and the world’s greatest needs.
                Guide me to the sweet spot, neither bland nor hectic,
                To a life’s work that values each moment,
                         honors each minute and won’t let time slip carelessly away.

There’s a million things I haven’t done. Help me choose.

Amen.

© Rev. Debra McKnight, Urban Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment