Thursday, November 8, 2018

A Note from Charles

Abbey Family

I’ve only been coming to the Urban Abbey since the beginning of this year, but I knew by the middle of that first service that I had found a place to call home. From the moment I walked in the door I was greeted with total love and acceptance and that was something that I was not accustomed to. As a closeted gay man I had lived almost my entire adult life in hiding and especially so at the fundamentalist nondenominational church I attended for the last few decades.

I recently asked Pastor Debra before attending the recent All Church meeting if it was ok to share with people that I was gay. Debra looked at me and gently admonished “There is no more hiding," that alone almost brought me to tears right on the spot and I don’t have enough fingers or toes to count the number of beautiful and supportive conversations the members of the Abbey have shared with me over these last several months.

At the end of the All church meeting I was able to meet our Bishop and asked if I could share a little bit of my story with him, he kindly agreed and I began to share with him how my life has changed in so many wonderful and incredible ways since finding the Urban Abbey. He encouraged me to use my gifts at the Abbey and at the end of our talk I thanked him for his time and asked If he would please do whatever is within his power to make sure that Abbey could continue to do the extraordinary work that it does.

I’d like to ask the same question of you, will you please consider doing whatever you can to help Abbey continue the amazing work that it’s doing here in the city of Omaha? I’m constantly astonished at that sheer volume of ministries and outreaches that we have and partner with here at the Abbey and that my friends is why I not only volunteer, but I also made a yearly pledge to help keep our little coffee shop bookstore church vibrantly growing and able to meet the needs of even more people. Together we can help transform our neighborhood into something that looks a little bit more inclusive and loving every day.

Would you please consider pledging a percentage of your income to help with the work here at the Abbey? It’s because other people just like you were willing to pledge a percentage of their income that I was able to wander in to this remarkably inclusive and caring coffee shop bookstore church and find myself in the midst of a life being completely transformed.

Thank you!
Charles Schlussel

No comments:

Post a Comment