Monday, October 14, 2019

You are Loved, You are Valid, You are Supported by Torie Walenz

Hello everyone! Happy belated national coming out day. My name is Torie for those of you who don’t know me, I am a barista here at Urban Abbey but I wear many hats. I am also a program manager at the Office of Civic & Social Responsibility, an intern at Omaha Girls Rock, and the Director of the Queer & Trans Services student agency at UNO. So needless to say, I know a lot of queer people and have been subject to many a “coming out”. 

My own story came in 2018 when I organized the largest queer college conference in the nation (all while being straight), my rugby team won state, and I came out for the first time!

National Coming Out Day, to me, is a message to queer folks, in & out of the closet, that they are loved, they are valid, and that they are supported. 

In 1988 it was created to celebrate those who could visibly come out, and to support those who couldn’t.

For this reason, to me, National Coming Out Day is also a reminder that “coming out” and self discovery is not just a one-time event. You don’t just go “Hey Mom! I’m gay! What’s for dinner?” and that’s it, it’s over. 

Since I was born it was assumed I was straight. Since my first time coming out, every conversation, every outfit, every haircut I have is part of “coming out”. This is true for most every queer person. It's a process, an invitation into someone’s self, and it helps to have support and allies to know you are not alone. That’s what this day is all about- showing that support. 

So, today (and everyday) I challenge you to assume everyone you meet is queer unless proven otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment